Interested in getting your hands dirty and packing our bags full of produce? Join us for a Produce Bagging!
Love talking to kids and parents about healthy eating? Help us at a Produce Distribution!
Got the chops to prepare snacks in our commercial kitchens? Put on your apron and join us in the kitchen for Healthy Recipe Prep!
Click on your city below to find out when and where we need volunteers.
CHECK BACK HERE SOON TO SIGN UP FOR FALL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN HOUSTON.
TO SIGN UP FOR VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN DALLAS.
CHECK BACK HERE SOON TO SIGN UP FOR FALL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN AUSTIN.
CHECK BACK HERE SOON TO SIGN UP FOR FALL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN NEW YORK CITY.
CHECK BACK HERE SOON TO SIGN UP FOR FALL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN WASHINGTON, D.C.
TO SIGN UP FOR VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA.
What will I be doing as a volunteer?
During Produce Bagging, your role as a volunteer may include:
- Setting up tables in assembly line format and ensuring work surfaces are clean.
- Unloading and carrying cases of fruits and vegetables (weighing up to 50 pounds) from the delivery truck to the bagging area.
- Sorting through produce to identify and discard spoiled items.
- Placing fruits and vegetables into the Brighter Bites bags.
- Breaking down boxes and cleaning tables and floors during and after the bagging process.
- Adding recipe cards, tip sheets, and other nutrition education materials to Brighter Bites bags.
- Delivering Brighter Bites bags to teachers in their classrooms.
During Produce Distribution, your role as a volunteer may include:
- Providing a warm, welcoming, and fun environment for parents and children.
- Guiding families to check-in with Brighter Bites staff.
- Encouraging kids and their parents to taste the fresh recipe sample.
- Inviting parents and kids to engage in conversations about the fruits and vegetables in the bags and the nutrition topic of the week.
- Engaging children in a nutrition-related game or activity.
- Handing the produce to families who have checked in with Brighter Bites staff.
- Helping families carry the produce bags to their cars.
- Cleaning up the Brighter Bites work area.
During Healthy Recipe Prep your role as a volunteer may include:
- Working in a commercial kitchen to prepare healthy recipes for families.
- Following a Brighter Bites recipe under the guidance of Brighter Bites staff.
- Chopping, slicing, and dicing fruits and vegetables.
- Operating kitchen appliances such as blenders, food processors, ovens, and stoves.
- Cleaning the kitchen area: sanitizing workstations, washing dishes, and properly disposing of trash, compost, and recycling.
- Tasting the finished product!
During “Special Projects,” your role as a volunteer may include:
- A range of things!
- See details in specific ‘Special Project’ listings for your city.
How do I sign up to volunteer?
Click on the link above for the city in which you would like to volunteer. You will see the city’s event listing page. When you find an event you would like to attend, click on it. Then, the page will direct you to create a volunteer profile in order to sign up for the event.
Do I need to bring ID?
Yes. Please bring a valid government-issued photo identification. You will need to sign-in with your ID at the front office of the site before coming to the Brighter Bites volunteer location at the site.
Do I need a background check?
Each school district and site is different. You will see information about specific requirements for each volunteer opportunity in the details of each event.
Are there age restrictions?
We love all volunteers big or small, but volunteers must be at least 16 years old to join us on their own. An adult must accompany any children under the age of 16.
What should I wear?
Please wear closed-toe shoes and comfortable clothes that you don’t mind getting a bit dirty. If you have previously volunteered with us, wear your red Brighter Bites t-shirt!
If I need special accommodations, may I still participate?
Yes! We have tasks for everyone. Please let a Brighter Bites staff member know if you need special accommodations.
What do I do when I arrive at the site?
Check in at the front office with your photo ID. Then go to the Brighter Bites volunteer location to check in with Brighter Bites staff.
How long will it take?
The duration of our volunteer opportunities depends on the number of volunteers who attend the event. When you register, you will see the approximate length of the volunteer event indicated in the description.
Can I bring a friend?
The more the merrier! Remember, all volunteers must sign up through the link above.
If I am unable to attend the shift I registered for, do I need to let someone know?
Yes, please use the Cancel my registration button in the registration confirmation email you received, or log in to your volunteer profile to cancel your registration.
If I want to volunteer again, do I need to sign up again?
Yes. Please sign up online for each volunteer shift you would like to attend.
Whom should I contact to give feedback on my experience?
You will receive a link to a volunteer survey in an email after you volunteer with us. You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I choose to volunteer at a site close to where I live?
Yes! Once you click on your city link on our volunteer page, you will be able to see our locations on a calendar or search by zip code, site name, date, time of day, etc. by clicking on Show Calendar or Search Events by Interest, Location, Date or Keyword.
Can I still volunteer if I don't have a car?
Many of our sites are located within close proximity to public transportation. View our locations in the calendar view or search locations by zip code, and refer to your local public transit website for the closest means of public transportation.
Can I still volunteer if English is not my first language?
Yes! There most likely will be a bilingual staff member on site to help, and all of our materials are in English and Spanish.
Do you have volunteer opportunities after school hours or on weekends?
Most of our volunteer opportunities take place during school hours. However, some of our cities do have volunteer opportunities on the weekends. Once you click on your city link on our volunteer page, you will be able to search our opportunities by day of the week, time of day, etc.
Can I get confirmation of my volunteer service?
Yes. Please bring any paperwork that you need signed by Brighter Bites staff to the site during your shift. You can also print a verified summary of your service hours including dates and total time through your volunteer profile!
Can I take home produce?
Brighter Bites volunteers are sometimes parents of children in the Brighter Bites program, so they are allowed to take home their produce bags after volunteering. It is possible that volunteers who are associated with the school and community or are undergraduate or graduate students at a local college may also be offered a set of complimentary produce bags. Volunteers who are not affiliated with the site or a local college, such as volunteers from another organization, corporation, or company, may not receive produce bags. ALL volunteers will receive a complimentary Brighter Bites t-shirt in appreciation of their service!